Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Crappy appliance

Today, I've been doing this. In case it's not clear from the photo, that is my microwave taped up with newspaper on the kitchen table.



















For two weeks now we've been living without a microwave.

We don't really cook with microwaves. And it hasn't been THAT much of an adjustment.

But I have to say I miss it. When Ben wants milk, he likes his bottle slightly warm. So instead of placing his bottle into the mike for 20 seconds, I place it into a bowl of hot water for 2 minutes.

It's not the end of the world.

Sometimes, I miss not being able to defrost something quickly. I don't normally plan meals, I just cook on a whim, and since we try to keep our freezer stocked with good organic meat, I can usually choose to cook whatever I feel like eating that day.

Now?

I have to plan the night before and place the frozen food in the fridge for defrosting.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world. But I miss the convenience of spontaneity.

Anyway. The reason the mike isn't working is because there is a little bit of paint chipped off the bottom edge on the inside of the door. We noticed a burn mark because underneath the paint there is metal. And like most of us know, you can't have metal inside the microwave. It'll short out.

So we finally bought the heat resistant spray paint. Cheaper than buying a new microwave.

I'm spray painting today. I hope to be done by tonight (it needs a couple of thin coats) so I can use the flippin' mike again tomorrow morning.

Figures that this thing, a Kenmore from Sears, decides to chip its paint one year after purchase. Warranty doesn't apply anymore.

Crappy appliance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! I despise microwaves! Well, maybe if we had a nice one instead of the behemouth that takes up so much counter space, I wouldn't mind so much. Ours was a wedding gift from my mother eight years ago. It is old, yucky, HUGE, and none of the digital numbers work on it anymore. I actually said to my husband the other day, "I wonder if we would miss it if it were gone." About the only thing I would miss is warming up the heat pack for those cold nights.

Anway! Charlotte Church is the lovely singer currently on my blog. I just ADORE her voice! Congrats on the second baby!! I would love, love, LOVE for you to contribute any thoughts you have relating to pregnancy and beyond. The one thing I can say for sure about going from one to two (or more): Let the insanity begin!! Truly, it's a blast! Siblings are so great for each other :-)

CL said...

Insanity you say? I thought we had some of that already....well, too late now! Let us expand on our current insanity!

Thanks for your words, and I'll start digging for your book. I'll be in touch.