Friday, February 09, 2007

Valentine's day card-exchange

My toddler has his first Valentine's Day party at his Montessori school next week. At the party, they are invited to exchange cards with their classmates.

Although I don't have anything against Valentine's Day in particular, the whole commercialization aspect of it does kind of tick me off. I keep thinking about landfill sites for some reason....

Anyway, I thought about not participating in this card exchange at all but then figured Benjamin may have his own opinion about that, even subconsciously. I mean, he's only 22 months old, but still. His head teacher there is an absolute sweetheart, and I know she'll make a big effort to make the whole experience fun, and educational too.

So, I decided to attempt making our own cards, or more precisely, have Ben make his own cards. They're his classmates and friends after all.

Besides, I needed a diversion anyway to keep him busy and occupied indoors during this never-ending deep freeze of late.

But remember, he is a toddler. This means that a) his attention span to make these cards wasn't long (but longer than I thought it would be) which b) required several days of potato-stamping in order to complete enough cards for all the kids in his class and c) did make a bit of a mess resulting in d) somewhat imperfectly shaped hearts which are however e) rather charming.

Of course, mommy was there to lend a hand occasionally...

So here's the proof: Benjamin made potato stamp cards to exchange with his classmates at the Valentine's Day party:










5 comments:

DaniGirl said...

What a great idea! Now I regret buying that box of Cars valentines!
Next year...

Anonymous said...

Ben! These are great!

Tell us, was there one Valentine you made for an extra-special person in your class?

twinmomplusone said...

really great cards! we made some too here for our little montessori friends using paper doilies and stickers, both heart shaped :)

btw, found your blog from both dani's and andrea's

Silver Creek Mom said...

WOW awesome Job Ben. Now if I could get my guy just to write his name on his we'd be laughing.

;)

Unknown said...

Oh what a cute little man! How is it that you can get your 22-month-old to create his own Valentine's Day cards while my 5-year-old son has absolutely NO interest in crafting. Oy! My heart is broken. Perhaps one day he will come around!

PS - I love the head of hair on your guy. My Bridget (19 months) is still practicall bald!