Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Morning routine

I have a very thoughtful toddler.

Most mornings, when he wakes up, he gathers up his two Bellos, his lamb and his baby lamb, and wanders over to my bedroom.

First, he drops his toys on daddy's side of the bed, then wanders over to my side.

He then places imposter Bello (aka mommy's Bello) on me and whispers "here you go mommy".

He then tiptoes back over to the other side of the bed, climbs in, and snuggles for a bit.

Depending on how early it is (anytime after 6 am is not considered early by him), after several sessions of tossing, turning, twitching, sucking on soother, and other acrobatic activities, he gets up again, and wanders into the kitchen.

He then returns with an empty bottle which he tosses at me. He stares at me until I stir or open my eyes, and proclaims: "I want milk".

If I don't get up right away he says "Time to get up now mommy, time to wake up."

That is my cue to get up and get him his milk ready, which he likes lukewarm.

When I return to where he wants his milk (could be in my bed, in his bed, or on the couch in the livingroom) he removes his soother, Bello and whatever other toy(s) he's gathered in the process and starts giggling out loud. I hand him his milk and he smacks his lips JUST SO, then commences drinking.

Some days I try to snuggle back with him on the bed, with a coffee in hand, and I get one of two responses:

1. no mommy, go away
2. giggle, smile, smack smack smack the lips

Immediately after the bottle is finished, one of three things can happen. Either he hands me the bottle and says "put it on shelf". This happens if I'm with him at the time.

If I'm not with him, he either whines loudly "I'm aaaaaaalllllll finished mommy!" and the repeats this refrain until either I, or daddy, get fed up and tell him to put the bottle down or get up and take it into the kitchen but to STOP WHINING ALREADY WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST SIX TIMES!

Or, he gets up, wanders back into the kitchen, and drops the bottle into the sink which he can just barely reach if he stands on his tippytoes.

Then we have to play.

"Mommy, do you want cars?"

Depending on what day of the week it is, (he's in daycare three mornings a week), he may bring me a specific car, and then proceeds to direct my play. Although he pronounces the car to be "this is mommy's car", I can NOT play with MY car the way I want. No no no.

"You park it here, no mommy, put your car here now."
"Move your car now mommy."
"I'm going to work, your car is going to vacation".

Sometimes he decides that my car has more fun, and he switches, without my permission, the cars. I try to argue: "this is mommy's car, you play with your car, didn't you say this was mommy's car?" but it's in vain. Eventually he manages to take the car he wants, and continues with his instructions to me.

He's very particular.

He's also very gentle. He does not smack the cars together violently, or throw things around, although sometimes he jumps up and down or has limbs flying around resulting in kicks in my belly or what not.

But for the most part, this morning routine is actually quite relaxing.

1 comment:

Andrea @ BlogDichFrei said...

LOL!!!

ROFL!!!

Uh-huh. Yeah. Listen to the emerging man...

May quote you? Who are you refering to when you say "he"?
"Sometimes he decides that my car has more fun, and he switches, without my permission, the cars."

HA! The apple does not fall far from the tree... or is it genetic? Or is he observant? What does A. say to this? Has anyone seen the irony in this???

I quote some more:
"...but it's in vain. Eventually he manages to take the car he wants, and continues with his instructions to me."

Just be thankful the wee one will be female!

AS