Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't tell me you're busy

Don't you just hate people who constantly tell you how busy they are? It's almost like they're competing with you in their busyness.

There are some types who insist that their busy is far busier because they have a job outside the home, have multiple children, have a husband who travels, have an illness, meddling family members, bla-di-bla.

They excuse their lack of interest in maintaining contact by listing all the busy tasks they have been absorbed in, and by making it sound like you are on their to-do list. Calling you on the phone, or dropping you a line just to say hi is an item that needs to be crossed off when completed.

I have family and friends who do this. I wonder sometimes why I make the effort since these relationships are (should be) a two-way street.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I have a friend of 20+ years who, when she moved, "lost my address and phone number." I had NO idea she moved, and it took me a year to track her down. Instead of calling my mom or sister for my address or number, she let me think she was long gone. And she was supposed to be my best friend! Her excuse what that she had been busy with stuff. I'm very busy too, and I have to admit that I actually have to schedule time for making phone calls and writing letters (and blogs). It's the only way I can make sure I get things done. I guess "being busy" is what you make of it. I have an unmarried friend with no children who says she's "busy." Doing what, I wonder. She works an 8-hour job, and doesn't date. I don't know what she does!

Anonymous said...

OMG, did you mean me??? I am sorry, but I really have been BUSY. I will spare you the detials (has to do with up-chuckin' kids, go figure) and preparing a trip to Canada (wonderful country I used to call home). Sorry to neglect our relationship, but I did promise to get back to you "live" by the end of the week, doesn't that count for anything?
Besides, if we spend all your spare time IM-ing, then you can't complain to your blog about busy friends... (an attempt to comically relieve the situation).
And I am coming to realize, that some people are simply busy, albeit a "navel business", but busy non-the-less. I don't mourn those relationships for too long.

AS