Thursday, December 14, 2006

Coffee tales

The little girl next door watched her mom bring out a big portable mug of coffee to bring along the way to pre-K. When I mentioned that I was about to go in and pour myself a cup, she said:

you have to drink water too, otherwise you get all dry

This is actually a true statement. My grandmother, who is pushing 90 and still climbs the steps up to her third floor apartment, drinks a glass of water every single morning prior to enjoying her breakfast.

Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don't Get Fat, makes the exact same statement.

I like coffee. I liked coffee before Benjamin with born, and I continue to enjoy coffee now, although it appears that coffee is more a necessity than pure enjoyment these days.

I can't function without a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Truth be said, I don't actually enjoy the first cup all that much, it's more of a down-it-to-wake-up kind of a situation. The second cup I enjoy immensely. The third...well, some days there's a fourth. I stop counting after that.

We have a Bodum french press. In a stainless steel container. Which we keep on the warm plate on the electric stove.

Heavenly.


To counter the effects of dryness, I down soda water (PC makes a low sodium kind) as of lunch time.

But that first glass of water prior to the hot java...? Somehow I just can't get into the habit. Maybe if I put the glass in front of the Bodum, or beside the baby bottle..., or pour it the night before, but then the water gets all stale...

I'll put it on my list of things to do.

No comments: